Classic Egg Salad often reminds me of when I was a child, sitting at Grandma Vera’s kitchen table, eating an egg salad sandwich for lunch after spending the night at her house. It was such a special time!
This is a super easy recipe for kids to help with or make by themselves!
- Hard-boiled eggs are a great food for children to begin learning knife skills, because they are so soft. They can even be cut with a butter knife by a pre-schooler.
- This recipe is very forgiving and a great one for eyeballing the amounts. Kids can simply spoon or squirt the ingredients into the chopped eggs and stir them. Let them do a taste test and decide if they would like more salt or mayo. Then they can correct the seasoning and make it taste exactly like they want it. Theres no room for perfectionism here.
Age-appropriate Tasks for Children
Little Ones (ages 2-6)
- Help carry ingredients to the food prep area.
- Peel hard-boiled eggs cooked in the Instant Pot, alongside a parent or older child.
- Chop hard-boiled eggs with a butter knife, alongside a parent or older child.
- Stir egg salad mixture.
Middle Kiddos (ages 5-11)
- Peel hard-boiled eggs independently.
- Chop hard-boiled eggs with a steak knife or a chopper or an egg-slicer.
- Gather ingredients to food prep area.
- Measure and add egg salad ingredients to mixing bowl.
- Stir egg salad mixture thoroughly.
Older Children and Teens (ages 12 and up)
- Pressure cook hard-boiled eggs.
- Follow recipe independently.
- Make variations in recipe, depending on likes/dislikes.
- Plan entire meal.
- Make and serve sandwiches.
- Make and serve entire meal.
And in case you need to make a bunch of egg salad, we figured out how many eggs you can cook in the Instant Pot at a time.
Classic Egg Salad
- 1 Electric Pressure Cooker
- 1 Mixing bowl
- 1 Knife or Egg Slicer
- 12 hard-boiled eggs 5 min/LOW Pressure/Quick Release/Ice Bath https://thecookingfamily.com/perfect-hard-boiled-eggs-instant-pot/
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons dill relish or sweet relish, your choice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or other vinegar
- 2 teaspoons mustard any kind
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1-3 dashes Tabasco sauce to taste (optional)
- Chop or dice eggs into small pieces.
- Add remaining ingredients. Stir well. Taste and correct seasoning.
- Serve as sandwiches, on crackers, or on a bed of greens.