Italian Lentil Soup in the Instant Pot (Vegan)
- Pressure Cooker
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup onion diced (1 medium-sized onion equals about 1 cup diced)
- 1 cup celery diced (2-3 stalks equal about 1 cup diced celery)
- 1 cup carrots diced (2-3 whole carrots equal about 1 cup diced)
- 1 cup bell pepper diced (1 medium bell pepper equals about 1 cup diced)
- 2 tablespoons fresh garlic minced (1 clove garlic equals about 1 teaspoon minced)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon fennel
- 1 lb. lentils sorted and rinsed (“sorting” means looking through the dried lentils and picking out any rocks or sticks that may have come from the field)
- 14 ounces Diced tomatoes
- 8 cups unsalted or low sodium vegetable stock
- Salt to taste
- Turn on Instant Pot to [Sauté] mode to begin heating everything while you throw all the ingredients in the pot.
- Sauté onions, carrots, and celery. Add about 1/2 teaspoon salt. Brown slightly for added flavor. Add remaining ingredients.
- Cook on [Pressure Cook] or [Manual] or [Soup] setting/High pressure/15 min/10 min NR.
Detailed Newbie Instant Pot Instructions:
- Close lid of Instant Pot. Check valve and make sure it is on [Sealing].
- Turn off Instant Pot if it’s still on [Sauté] mode.
- Turn Instant Pot ON to [Soup] program.
- Adjust the time to 15 minutes at high pressure by pressing [+] or [-] on the front of your Instant Pot.
- Allow Pot to Natural release for at least 10 minutes.
- Stir well and taste. Add any needed salt and pepper to taste. A splash of Tabasco really hits the spot!