Breakfast Casserole w/Roasted Veggies
A baked egg and cheese casserole, loaded with savory roasted vegetables, this is easy to make and can be prepared ahead using leftover veggies! Great for serving guests or for a special breakfast. We also love prepping it ahead and having quick breakfasts ready all week.
- 1 Mixing bowl
- 1 Whisk
- 1 Blender or Food Processor
- 1 9 x 13 Casserole Dish
- 6-8 slices bread or a package of frozen hash brown potatoes
- 3-4 cups roasted or cooked vegetables Some options: onion, peppers, broccoli, mushrooms, spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, sweet potatoes. Any cooked vegetables will work.
- 2 c. or up to 1 lb of shredded Cheddar cheese or other cheese if you prefer
- 8 eggs beaten well
- 1½ c. milk
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 1¼ t. dry ground mustard
Just before baking top with:
- 3 c. cornflakes, crushed crushed. Gluten free alternatives are: corn chex, rice chex, tortilla chips. Leave off for lower carb option.
- ½ c. butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Grease baking dish.Tear bread into pieces and place into 9×13 greased pan. Or pour and spread out frozen hash browns in baking dish.Layer veggies and then cheese over bread or potatoes.
- Beat eggs with milk, salt and mustard—blender or food processor works best for this. Pour mixture over bread, veggies, and cheese (make sure bread is well-covered).
- Cover and chill 8 hours or overnight. (Optional–see notes.)
- Uncover and sprinkle with cornflakes and then drizzle with melted butter. Bake at 300° for 60 minutes, or until set (bubbly).
- Cut into squares and serve. We love serving with salsa, hot sauce, or chili garlic sauce at the table.
This casserole is best when made ahead and then just pop it in the oven when you’re ready to serve it. However, I’ve put this casserole together and baked it immediately many times and it still tastes fantastic.
Calories: 794734kcalCarbohydrates: 43979gProtein: 40788gFat: 56679gSaturated Fat: 3134gPolyunsaturated Fat: 15767gMonounsaturated Fat: 35201gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 301mgSodium: 22219mgPotassium: 1153623mgFiber: 19066gSugar: 10622gVitamin A: 51337IUVitamin C: 11113mgCalcium: 416163mgIron: 14419mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!