Make-Ahead Breakfast Casserole
- 1 Mixing bowl
- 1 Whisk
- 1 Blender or Food Processor
- 1 9 x 13 Casserole Dish
- 6-8 slices bread or a package of frozen hash brown potatoes
- 1 lb. breakfast sausage or bacon or ham cooked and crumbled or diced
- 2 c. or up to 1 lb of shredded Cheddar cheese or other cheese if you prefer
- 8 eggs beaten well
- 1½ c. milk
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 1¼ t. dry ground mustard
Just before baking top with:
- 3 c. cornflakes, crushed crushed. Gluten free alternatives are: corn chex, rice chex, tortilla chips. Leave off for lower carb option.
- ½ c. butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Cook sausage until no longer pink; drain well.
- Grease baking dish.Tear bread into pieces and place into 9×13 greased pan. Or pour and spread out frozen hash browns in baking dish.Layer meat and then cheese over bread or potatoes.
- Beat eggs with milk, salt and mustard—blender or food processor works best for this. Pour mixture over bread, meat, and cheese (make sure bread is well-covered).
- Cover and chill 8 hours or overnight. (Optional–see notes.)
- Uncover and sprinkle with cornflakes and then drizzle with melted butter. Bake at 300° for 60 minutes, or until set (bubbly).
- Cut into squares and serve. We love serving with salsa, hot sauce, or chili garlic sauce at the table.