We had a great time doing our first cooking demo as a family last week. We used our favorite kitchen tool, the Instant Pot, to make a tasty Chicken Tortilla Soup. And it was really delicious! The Instant Pot really does give second-day soup flavor in only a few minutes! One of the things I love about this recipe is that there is something for each of my children to do to help prepare it. If you missed the live video, you can watch the fun here. The recipe and instructions we used are down below.
Tools we used:
Cut Glove I make sure the kids are always wearing one of these when using the knife.
Instructions (for using cooked chicken:)
If using frozen or raw chicken, see alternate instructions below.
- Turn Instant Pot on Sauté.
- Pour chicken broth, salsa, Ro-tel, and black beans into pot to begin heating.
- Stir in cumin and salt (if using).
- Dice bell pepper, onion, and garlic while liquids are heating in the Instant Pot.
- Add peppers, onions, and garlic to pot.
- Stir in cooked, shredded chicken.
- Drop pieces of corn tortilla into soup and stir well.
Set your Instant Pot to Manual mode for 6 minutes at high pressure. Natural release for 5 minutes, then quick release the rest. If you’re not yet sure how to do all of that, no worries. Read the next set of instructions.
- Close Instant Pot Lid.
- Turn Valve to Sealing.
- Press <Cancel> on Instant Pot to cancel the Sauté function that is heating soup.
- Press <Manual>.
- Press <+> or <-> to change time to 6 minutes.
- Make sure Pressure is on High. (The default on the machine is High pressure.)
- Pause and wait 10 seconds for Instant Pot to beep.
- Now the pot will heat soup to a boil and begin to build up pressure—about 10 minutes, if it was fairly hot when the lid was closed.
- When pressure is reached, the silver float valve on top of lid will pop up. In 1-2 minutes, the display on the front will show 6 minutes and then begin counting down.
- When it has counted down to zero, it will beep. Display on front will begin counting up. Wait five minutes—5 min Natural Release.
- Carefully turn valve to Venting, while keeping hands and face away from hot steam. Steam will begin pouring out the top, much like a steam locomotive.
- When float valve drops, the lid can be opened. Soup is very hot.
- Serve and enjoy! If desired, top with sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, cilantro, avocado, and tortilla chips.
*Alternate directions for using raw or frozen chicken:
For fastest results, you would want to have your chicken cooked before adding your other ingredients. Always add at least 1 cup of liquid to the Instant Pot to cook in it. Next, place frozen or raw chicken in Instant Pot. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Press <Poultry>, set for 10 minutes at LOW pressure for chicken breasts or 10-15 min at HIGH pressure for chicken thighs. Natural release for 3 minutes, then quick release the remaining pressure. Proceed with recipe as directed above.
If you have any questions, ask us below, or on our Facebook page! We hope you enjoy making and eating this delicious soup with your family!