Last updated on November 4th, 2022 at 05:06 pm
This soul-warming cornbread goes together very quickly and pairs perfectly with a bowl of simmering soup. The crisp bottom will melt in your mouth. Just add butter!
Southern Skillet Cornbread
- Cast Iron Skillet
- Large mixing bowl
- Wooden Spoon or Rubber Spatula
- 1 3/4 cups cornmeal stone ground or regular
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk can substitute by placing 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon vinegar or lemon juice and filling measuring cup with remaining milk to make 1 1/4 cups total
- 1/2 cup oil any vegetable oil or bacon grease for the daring who love bacon
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Stir dry ingredients (cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt) together in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs and then add buttermilk, stirring together well.
- Pour the oil into cast-iron skillet and place in oven.
- Just before the oil is hot, add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix just until incorporated. Do not overstir.
- Remove hot skillet from oven. Carefully pour half the oil into the batter. Stir the oil in with 12 strokes. It's okay that it won't be completely mixed.
- Pour the batter into the hot, oiled skillet.
- Place skillet into oven and bake for 18-20 minutes, until toothpick inserted into middle comes out clean.
- Cut into slices, serve immediately with plenty of fresh butter!
- Do not hope for leftovers. The cornbread becomes stale the next day anyway.