We love having this taste of Asia for dinner. It’s a great meal for kids to help out on, because there’s plenty of chopping.
If you don’t have lots of helpful hands, a food processor is great for making quick work of the cabbage and carrots.
Egg Roll in a Bowl
Asian flavors come to life in this yummy one dish meal. Using convenient shredded cole slaw mix makes it super fast and easy!
- Electric Pressure Cooker
- Food processor, optional
- 1 lb ground meat (chicken, turkey, pork, or beef)
- 2 lbs cabbage shredded (1 head)
- 1 cup carrots shredded or julienned
- 1 cup onion sliced in thin wedges (frenched)
- 8 cloves garlic fresh, minced
- 2 inches ginger fresh, minced
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- ¼ cup soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 cup water
- chili garlic sauce
- soy sauce
- toasted sesame oil
- oyster sauce
- Turn Instant Pot on to [Sauté] function. Brown ground meat while breaking it into pieces.
- Add peanut oil to stainless steel inner pot.
- Add onion and sauté for one minute, then add garlic and ginger to pot and sauté for one more minute.
- Next add shredded cabbage and carrots (or cole slaw mix) to the pot.
- Give it all a quick stir to incorporate the flavors.
- Drizzle soy sauce over the cabbage mixture.
- Pour in water.
- Check lid and make sure silicone seal is in place. Close lid of Instant Pot.
- Set Steam Release Valve to [Sealing] position.
- Press [Cancel] to turn off [Sauté] function.
- Press [Pressure Cook] or [Manual] to select pressure cooking program.
- Press [Pressure Level] or [Adjust] to switch pressure level to LOW pressure. If your machine only has one pressure level, that's ok, but I prefer cooking cabbage on low pressure, if possible.
- Press [+] or [-] buttons to adjust pressure cooking time to 0 minutes. That's right, ZERO! (Don't worry, all your cooking with take place as the pot heats up, comes just to pressure, and then releases pressure.
- Wait ten seconds for Instant Pot to beep and begin heating up. If your Instant Pot has a Start button, like the Ultra, go ahead and press [Start].
- Because cabbage can be easily overcooked, you will want to Quick Release the pressure immediately after the timer shows 0 minutes and beeps indicating the pressure cooking time has ended. Keep your face and hands away from the pot and turn the Steam Release Valve to [Venting]. Hot steam will begin pouring out. When the float valve drops, open your pot.
- Drizzle toasted sesame oil over the egg-roll-in-a-bowl. Stir to incorporate all the ingredients. Taste test and add more soy sauce, if needed.
Keto VersionTo make this a yummy Keto meal, just use Coconut Oil instead of Peanut Oil, and leave out the carrots. Done!
Meal Prep ShortcutsUse a food processor to speed up the slicing of cabbage and onions, shredding of carrots, and mincing of ginger and garlic. OR if you need quick and easy and don’t mind spending a little more and sacrificing just a touch on the texture of the finished cabbage, use pre-shredded Cole slaw mix. You can also purchase ginger-garlic paste or separate pre-minced garlic and ginger. I prefer the taste of the fresh over these convenience items, but when time is short, it can be worth the sacrifice! Finally, any ground meat (chicken, turkey, beef, pork) could be used here in place of cooked, diced chicken. Just brown it in the pot before proceeding with the rest of the sautéing.
Calories: 232kcalCarbohydrates: 16gProtein: 18gFat: 12gSaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 65mgSodium: 641mgPotassium: 839mgFiber: 5gSugar: 7gVitamin A: 3712IUVitamin C: 60mgCalcium: 87mgIron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!