We love having this taste of Asia for dinner. It’s a great meal for kids to help out on, because there’s plenty of chopping.
If you don’t have lots of helpful hands, a food processor is great for making quick work of the cabbage and carrots.
Egg Roll in a Bowl
- Electric Pressure Cooker
- Food processor, optional
- 1 lb ground meat (chicken, turkey, pork, or beef)
- 2 lbs cabbage shredded (1 head)
- 1 cup carrots shredded or julienned
- 1 cup onion sliced in thin wedges (frenched)
- 8 cloves garlic fresh, minced
- 2 inches ginger fresh, minced
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- ¼ cup soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 cup water
- chili garlic sauce
- soy sauce
- toasted sesame oil
- oyster sauce
- Turn Instant Pot on to [Sauté] function. Brown ground meat while breaking it into pieces.
- Add peanut oil to stainless steel inner pot.
- Add onion and sauté for one minute, then add garlic and ginger to pot and sauté for one more minute.
- Next add shredded cabbage and carrots (or cole slaw mix) to the pot.
- Give it all a quick stir to incorporate the flavors.
- Drizzle soy sauce over the cabbage mixture.
- Pour in water.
- Check lid and make sure silicone seal is in place. Close lid of Instant Pot.
- Set Steam Release Valve to [Sealing] position.
- Press [Cancel] to turn off [Sauté] function.
- Press [Pressure Cook] or [Manual] to select pressure cooking program.
- Press [Pressure Level] or [Adjust] to switch pressure level to LOW pressure. If your machine only has one pressure level, that's ok, but I prefer cooking cabbage on low pressure, if possible.
- Press [+] or [-] buttons to adjust pressure cooking time to 0 minutes. That's right, ZERO! (Don't worry, all your cooking with take place as the pot heats up, comes just to pressure, and then releases pressure.
- Wait ten seconds for Instant Pot to beep and begin heating up. If your Instant Pot has a Start button, like the Ultra, go ahead and press [Start].
- Because cabbage can be easily overcooked, you will want to Quick Release the pressure immediately after the timer shows 0 minutes and beeps indicating the pressure cooking time has ended. Keep your face and hands away from the pot and turn the Steam Release Valve to [Venting]. Hot steam will begin pouring out. When the float valve drops, open your pot.
- Drizzle toasted sesame oil over the egg-roll-in-a-bowl. Stir to incorporate all the ingredients. Taste test and add more soy sauce, if needed.