This dish is one you’ll want to add to the regular rotation. It’s tasty. It’s simple. It’s fast.
And it’s perfect for dressing up with crisp Romaine Lettuce, diced fresh tomatoes, shredded cheddar cheese, and sour cream. Or not. It is so yummy, you can simply serve it over rice and enjoy!
You can even make this Creamy Salsa Chicken with frozen chicken! Just add two extra minutes to the pressure cooking time and a last-minute dinner is on the way.
This recipe calls for Magic Flavor Dust. It is simply our “house” seasoning that we use on practically everything. Make yourself up a batch for a little magic in the kitchen! Here’s where you’ll find the recipe.
Creamy Salsa Chicken Rice Bowl
- Electric Pressure Cooker
- Extra pot that fits inside the inner pot for rice
- Pressure Cooker Trivet
Creamy Salsa Chicken
- 1½ pounds chicken pieces I prefer boneless, skinless thighs for this.
- 1½ cups salsa medium or mild, depending on your family's tastes
- 1 cup onion, sliced 1 medium onion equals about 1 cup, sliced
- 1 tablespoon Magic Flavor Dust
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 cup water or low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- 2 cups white rice
- 2 cups water or low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon butter
Optional Rice Bowl Toppings
- Romaine Lettuce, chopped
- Fresh Tomatoes, chopped
- Onion, finely diced
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Fresh Cilantro, chopped
Creamy Salsa Chicken Instructions
- Place chicken thighs or pieces into Instant Pot insert. Add 1 cup of water.
- Sprinkle Magic Flavor Dust, chili powder, and ground cumin over chicken. Add sliced onion. Pour salsa on top of everything.
- If adding Pot-in-Pot rice, place it in pressure cooker at this point. See below for instructions.
- Close lid of pressure cooker. Check steam release valve to make sure it is set to [Sealing] for pressure cooking. Set Instant Pot program to [Pressure Cook] or [Manual] or [Poultry].Adjust Pressure Level to [High] pressure for chicken thighs or legs or [Low] pressure for chicken breasts.Set pressure cooking time to 10 minutes by pressing the [+] or [-] buttons. Add two minutes to pressure cooking time if your meat is frozen.Press [Start] or simply wait for 10 seconds for your Instant Pot to beep and begin heating up. Pressure cooker will heat up, come to pressure, count down pressure cooking time, and then beep when finished. Allow a ten-minute natural release of pressure before releasing remaining pressure.
- Using tongs, remove chicken pieces and place on a plate. Transfer each one to a cutting board and dice meat into bite-sized pieces. Return chicken to pot and stir well. Serve over rice with your choice of fixin's as described above. Enjoy!
- Add rice, water, salt, and butter to a pot or bowl that fits inside the pressure cooker insert.
- Use a trivet or sling under this inner pot so you can pull the piping hot bowl of rice out when it is done cooking.
- Place inner pot over chicken and salsa mixture. May be placed directly on food or on a trivet on top of the food.
- Proceed with pressure cooking instructions above.